Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ethics and money making

J at Budgets are Sexy wrote on Monday about his conscience and saving money at the gas pump. Making money and ethics was on my mind this week because I had won several tickets to the 5th Annual Congressional Blues Festival at Kennedy Center. I won them for free in a raffle and asked my musically inclined friends if they wanted to go, but alas one had class, etc. etc... I decided to sell them, but had hestiations.

The festival is a lobbying event for a non-profit that aids Blues musicians. They get corporate sponsors to pay for the event, but also sold tickets to the event for $35. In addition, they had a random lottery that awarded (i don't know how many) tickets. In an email - they did mention that more than 6,000 people were in the lottery. Anyways - if you were in this position would you sell the tickets? for how much?

I think selling tickets for more than face-value is illegal (i really have no clue about legal stuff). I don't know how that applies to a ticket I received for free, but has a value of $35. I sold the tickets for 10 bucks each and was thanked by the buyers for not inflating the price. But still - I almost have an inkling to donate the money I made from those tickets to the music makers foundation. Thoughts?

1 comment:

DINKS said...

hey!!! i just saw this, and man that's a good question you propose here.

to be honest, i don't think there's a black and white answer here. i think it really depends on how YOU feel about it. $10 for a $35 ticket is a helluva steal, so the buying party is DEF. making out, as do you.

I think it also depends on how you got it as well...if a friend had given it to you for free, then it would change a lot in my books.

I love the idea of donating the proceeds too, nice one ;) Either way, you've already gone a route that others wouldn't even think of, so yay!